An easy Red Chilli Pickle recipe – and yet another way to preserve your chillies!
(Based on a recipe by Anjana Chaturvedi)
400 gms Fresh Red Chillies
4 tbsp Mango Powder
3 tbsp Mustard Seeds
2 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
2 tbsp Fennel Seeds
1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Nigella Seeds
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Asafoetida
3 tsp Salt
1.5 cup Mustard Oil
1 tbsp White Vinegar
Note: If you are unable to find Mango Powder or Asafoetida, I have made this recipe successfully without.
1. In a dry pan, roast fenugreek, mustard, fennel,cumin and nigella seeds. Careful not to burn the seeds.
2. Grind the roasted spices to make a coarse powder.
3. Heat mustard oil until smoking then let it cool for 5 minutes
4. Add all the roasted ground spice mix, salt, the rest of the spices and vinegar. Mix well. Let this cool.
5. Wash and wipe the chillies and then chop into rings.
6. When the contents of the pan have completely cooled, add in chopped red chillies and mix well.
7. Store in sterilised glass jars and keep in sunlight for 4 days. Start using after a week.
This can be stored in sterilised jars with airtight lids, the flavour mellows over time.