All the rain we’ve had this month has been great for rhubarb, so if like me you’ve been overwhelmed by what to do with it, why not try this easy-to-make, but delicious rhubarb cake recipe?
- 200g/7oz softened butter, plus extra for greasing
- 200g/7oz caster sugar, plus 3 tbsp for the topping
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or almond extract
- 200g/7oz ground almonds
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 300g/10½oz slender young rhubarb, trimmed and cut into roughly 2cm/¾in lengths
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease a 23cm/9in springform cake tin with butter and line the base with baking paper.
- Put the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla or almond extract, almonds, flour and baking powder in a food mixer or food processor. Beat until smooth and thick.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared tin. Top with the rhubarb, pressing it down gently. Sprinkle with the reserved 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cover with foil if the cake starts to overbrown before it is cooked in the centre.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.