Photo: © Roger Dean
Make the most of the hedgerow’s free fruit by making this delicious blackberry jam, which you can then enjoy throughout the year.
Ingredients for approximately 4 x 225g jars:
250g white granulated sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water
- Place a saucer or side plate in the freezer.
- Then put all the ingredients in a large saucepan or a preserving pan, and slowly bring to the boil, stirring gently and frequently.
- At the same time place your washed and dried jars, and their lids, on a baking tray and place in the oven at 140C/120C fan oven/gas 1 for at least 15 minutes to sterilise.
- Allow the jam mixture to boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and put a teaspoon of the liquid jam on the chilled saucer/side plate you have taken from the freezer, and put it in the fridge.
- After a couple of minutes take it out of the fridge and test to see if the jam has reached setting point by running your finger nail through the puddle of jam.
- If the liquid wrinkles it is ready to be spooned into the waiting warm sterilised jars and sealed. If not put the jam back on the heat for another couple of minutes and test again until setting point is reached.